November 30, 2009

6 Days and Counting!

The countdown to marathon Sunday has begun! I really can't believe it's this weekend already... While I was home for Thanksgiving I bought new shoes yet again so I'll have a fresh pair come race day. I switched things up again and this time went with the Brooks Adrenaline GTS 10. Besides changing brands I also went up an entire size and went with extra width. I have Flintstone feet, aka they're really wide, so I needed something that wasn't going to squeeze my feet like sausages. I'm hoping that the extra room will also accommodate swelling while running and hopefully make my toes much happier. We'll see. I tested them out on a 6 miler at home and so far so good! It's amazing what a difference new shoes can make  : )


On a less positive note, I've been having some issues with my calves, mainly the left one. They've been super tight to the point that I can feel huge knots the size of golf balls. I've tried massaging them, rolling them, and even using my dad's electrical muscle stimulation kit, all with little success. I can still run and they're not painful when I walk, just noticeably tight. I'm hoping that with intense rolling, stretching, and massaging they will loosen up by this weekend. Speaking of this weekend, the forecast so far looks interesting:

Few Showers 
High 
63°F 
Low 
46°F
Precip 30%


I don't mind running in the rain, but then again I don't relish being soaked for 26.2 miles. Maybe just a light drizzle? On the bright side, it should at least be nice and cool! Low 60s are perfect running temps... My parents fly into Santa Barbara Friday morning, so I'm trying to get as much done as I can this week so I can enjoy race weekend with my folks. This isn't as easy as I'd like, however. This is our last week of classes, which means finals next week and papers, presentations, reading, and lots and lots of studying : / I'm going to try and squeeze in a few easy runs this week but most importantly I want my legs to be fresh for Sunday!

0 comments:

Post a Comment