June 19, 2011

A Tribute to Dad

Happy Father's Day! There's no one quite like dad, and the relationship between dad and daughter is even more unique. I was blessed with a wonderful father, without whom I wouldn't be the person I am today. I owe my athletic interests to him, as at a very early age he had me playing soccer and softball. He encouraged me in all my endeavors, from my education to my crazy running/triathlon pursuits. He taught me how to ride a bike, and later how to care for my first car, and was always just a phone call away when I needed help fixing something : ) I have him to thank for my love of 70s rock music, my Italian heritage, my stubbornness, and my tendency to speak my mind. He's come to cheer me on at almost every race I've run, and I can't say enough how much this means to me to have him out there. Over the last couple years, I've also been able to share my love for running with him, including our annual Thanksgiving Day race which has become a tradition.
 the old man : )

And he always let's me know how proud he is of me, and how much he loves me. As for this last one, I can't say enough how much of an impact that has had on my life. I honestly don't think parents today say it enough. I am very lucky to have such a wonderful dad. Although there were some rocky roads, our relationship has grown over the years to be something I value so dearly today. To my dad, thank you for always teaching, encouraging, and loving me. I love you!
daddy's little girl : )
running together in Santa Barbara
helping me stretch after my first marathon!
Santa Cruz Boardwalk
Santa Cruz
San Luis Obispo
Thanksgiving
annual Thanksgiving 5k
LA Marathon 
annual Thanksgiving 10k
Santa Barbara
Santa Barbara Mission
college graduation
4th of July
my first triathlon!
Steve Miller Band concert
CIM
surprise 30th anniversary party
my first olympic triathlon
(yes, I owe you a race report! it's coming...)

Unfortunately I had to work today, so we celebrated by going to breakfast this morning, then he and the pup joined me for my (hot and windy!) run this evening. After a trip to the grocery store together, we ended the night with a delicious homemade meal. I always like to give him gifts of things we can do together rather than material things, so this year I got him tickets to a Giants game. I had bought him tickets last year for his birthday, but then his mother got sick so we couldn't make it. I'm excited that we finally get to do this together! It ended up being a pretty low key holiday for us, but it was great nonetheless. My mom has been on vacation the past week so it's just been the two of us, and it's been nice to have a little father-daughter time. Once again, Happy Father's Day to all the dads out there!

How did you all celebrate Father's Day??

1 comment:

  1. great photos! Looks like you both are two peas in a pod!

    ReplyDelete