July 23, 2011

Vineman Week Thirteen

7/11-7/17

I almost forgot to recap this week! Not a whole lot happened as far as training goes since it was race week, especially since I was dealing with an unpleasant cold, too. I took it pretty easy with just an easy run and swim (I'd done a 30 mile ride the previous Sunday) and more than anything I wanted to get a little extra rest with the hopes that I'd feel better by race day. Sunday was the big day and it was a fantastic experience, both challenging and fun!

Monday
run: 5 mi, 9:12 avg pace.
Didn't have to be in to work til the afternoon so I slept in a bit and went for a short and easy run. Felt pretty good physically but a little bored mentally for some reason.

Tuesday
rest.

Wednesday
swim: 2,000 yds, 40 min.
  • 200 warm-up
  • repeated twice:
    • 50-50
    • 50-100
    • 50-150
    • 50-200
  • 4x50 (on the 1:05)
  • 200 cool-down
At this point I hadn't swam for over a week (thanks to the cruise), and while I had meant to swim earlier in the week, with my cold I didn't think it would be the best idea. I was feeling a bit better though so after work I headed to the pool. It actually felt a little weird at first after not swimming for so long, like my stroke was a bit awkward, but after my warm-up things smoothed out. I did my usual ladder then decided to add some fast 50s to see how I could do after the main set when I was a little tired. I still managed to keep them around 50 sec which I was happy with. Finished things off with a cool-down to bring the workout total to race distance.

Thursday
rest.

Friday
rest.
No workout today, but I did go see the new Harry Potter movie after work! As usual, nothing like the book, but I didn't have high expectations. Glad I saw it but didn't love it.

Saturday
rest.
Headed to Sonoma in the morning and hit up the expo that afternoon. Attended the mandatory athlete meeting, got everything set up in T2, bought some race gear, then hit up a busy little Italian restaurant for an awesome pre-race dinner. Posted my goals then hit the sack!

Sunday
swim: 1.2 mi, 42:59 min.
bike: 56 mi, avg 16.3 mph.
run: 13.1 mi, 10:08 avg pace.
Vineman 70.3! Totally epic - check out the full race report here. Such an amazing day in so many ways : )

Totals:
swim - 4,112 yards
bike - 56 miles
run - 18.1 miles

0 comments:

Post a Comment