February 6, 2010

Retail Therapy

Long story short: my shin splints have flared up again. After a pushing my pace on a 5k Tuesday evening, I woke up Wednesday to very sore and tight legs, and have not run since. Part of me feels extremely guilty about this. I am, after all, supposed to be in the midst of training for a marathon that looms ever closer. But at the same time, I'm trying to listen to my body and take it easy so I can actually get to that marathon in one piece. I did manage to get a workout in last night in the form of swimming, but I wish it could have been a run.

So how did I deal with all these mixed emotions? Went shopping, of course! It's no secret that running clothes can be pricey, so I tend to buy cheaper no-name stuff from Target or the like. It gets the job done and doesn't cost an arm an a leg, but it definitely lacks a little in the quality department. So considering that I just got paid and was emotionally a bit down in the dumps about my running, I went to my local running store and bought myself a fabulous pair of Nike shorts and Asics capris! Despite a significant dent in my bank account, I left the store feeling quite happy. I've recently started wearing shorts more when I run, so I wanted to get a really nice, comfortable, and flattering pair in a fun color. Most of the time, however, I wear capris, so it was totally worth the splurge on this amazingly soft and comfortable pair which I'm planning on sporting this weekend : )

Speaking of this weekend, on Sunday I'll be running the Surf City Half in Huntington Beach. My running buddy Stacey and I are heading down in the morning (aka 6 hours from now - why am I still awake?!) so we have to whole day to hit the expo and relax in our hotel. Originally my plan was to PR. I really think I'm capable of it, but considering my shin splints I think it's smarter to play it safe and slow down the pace and just enjoy the race. It all comes down to the bigger picture, and that is the LA Marathon March 21st. So we'll see how it goes. No matter what, it should be a great weekend and I can't wait to race!

1 comment:

  1. Ugh, shin splints are terrible. I hope they are feeling better.

    And I'm with you...I buy tons of running stuff at Target. It holds up really well, too!

    ReplyDelete