February 27, 2010

TGIF + Week in Review

TGIF!! I've been kind of lazy this week in terms of blogging...and it's been one of those weeks where there just isn't enough time in the day. Between work, school, running, etc., I couldn't be more happy that the weekend is here : ) Tuesday was TNT track night. Another fun workout, we did 1x400 at 85% effort and 1x800 at 75% effort. I managed a sub-8 min/mi pace for the 400m, and was perfectly consistent on each lap of the 800m. We ended up doing an even 3 miles by the end of the night.

Wednesday was a busy day, but I squeezed in a quick 4 miler in between work and a friend's birthday dinner. The route I ran on campus was quite muddy and full of puddles, but it was beautiful nonetheless. Unfortunately, for some reason my shin splints flared up again during the run. After I didn't have any time to do anything with them, but they feel ok now so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. That evening a bunch of my girlfriends and I got dressed up and went out for sushi to celebrate the 21st birthday of my sorority "little sis" Elaine. So much fun!

Thursday was a swim day! We didn't get to the pool until about 8pm, so I was pretty tired, but I ended up swimming a new distance personal best - 1000m! We started out with a 500m (although I have to mention that I still don't have the endurance to swim this straight - many quick breaks are taken between laps!). Then we moved on to 200m of legs, then 200 of various arm drills, and finally a 400m cool-down. By the end I was absolutely exhausted! I can't wait to get better, but I'm definitely a little impatient. It's a bit frustrating when I can run as long as I do but I can barely swim a few laps without stopping. Humph.

In other news, my headphones called it quits this week, so I had to invest in a new pair. I got the wrap-around style, but I'm still on the fence in deciding if I like them or not. Maybe it's just the kind I got, but I'm just not feeling them, so I might be returning them this weekend. Also, after hearing so many people rave about it, yesterday I ordered the book Born to Run by Christopher McDougall, and I'm so excited to read it! It's gotten really good reviews, and I'm also eager to read more on the barefoot running front. Look for a review when I finish it! Finally, it looks like this Sunday is going to be another solo long run - this time an 18 miler. My friend Courtney, who did 14 miles with me a couple weeks ago, was going to run with me, but unfortunately she's got a nasty cold : ( I know that I'm capable of doing the mileage, but I was sort of looking forward to the company. I'm also crossing my fingers for some decent running weather this weekend...right now it's POURING!!!

1 comment:

  1. Hope you have a great long run tomorrow! You can do it!

    I want to read that book. It sounds great! Looking forward to hearing what you think.

    You clean up nicely! :) Always fun to get dressed up every so often. Yay!

    ReplyDelete