September 3, 2010

Happy Birthday, Dad!

I want to wish my Dad a very happy birthday today! My present for him was one we can both enjoy - tickets to a Giants game! We celebrated with a great dinner tonight surrounded by good food and friends, and birthday cake of course! Hope you had a great one, Dad!
Maybe just a few more candles... ; )

This morning I went out for my long run since I work early all weekend and to put it simply, it was a death march. Coming off my great run last weekend, I was hoping for a bit of the same only to be absolutely miserable for the entire 13 miles. It was literally one of the worst long runs I can remember. I can't even pinpoint what made it so miserable...but it was slow and painful. It was hot from the get go, and I just felt sluggish and had no energy whatsoever. I was hoping that I just needed to warm up but I only seemed to feel worse. I kept up a decent pace but had to take frequent walk breaks. Just a few miles in I seriously questioned how I was going to finish, and at the turnaround just the thought of running all the way back seemed impossible. I tried to break the run up into parts which seemed to help, but I never felt good.

I ran the same route as last weekend only going a bit further, and I even saw a deer and her two babies dart across the bike path! I also almost got ran off the path by several rude, arrogant cyclists, one who even signaled at me to run on the gravely, uneven shoulder! Seriously, what gives? Anyway, I mercifully made it back home in 2:15, not bad considering the walking. It was definitely a bit of a physical and mental blow, though. I know every run can't be great, but this one sucked big time. On the bright side, things can only go up from here, right?

1 comment:

  1. Some days it's just all work. You made it through, which is the most important part. Next time out will definitely be better.

    Sorry to hear about the run-in with the cyclists. I'm all about sharing the path, but some folks just don't get it. I had an encounter once with a cyclist who took issue with the amount of trail I was using, even though I was running on the right side right where I was supposed to be. Pretty sure that individual has avoided confrontations like that from that point forward. Worst part when that happens is it can ruin a perfectly good run and screw up your mood/pace for the rest of the outing.

    ReplyDelete